Houses in the "Flachgau"
Thanngütl or Kirchpointgütl
The Kirchpointgütl is a typical Flachgau “Einhof” farmhouse where the residential building and farm buildings are combined. They are usually separated into three parts; one for living, a threshing floor and a stable. The front door and windows on the ground floor have jambs made of Adnet marble, of which the paving in front of the house is also made. The walls are decorated with green fresco paintings with tendril and rustic designs. The Museum office and administration are currently in Thanngütl. The threshing floor and stable area have been changed to accommodate the entrance and exhibition hall.
Lohnergütl / Lohner Farm
Oberndorf / Bichlhaiden, 1666
Based on the shape of the building, the Lohner farm is a Flachgau single-building farm with its characteristic division of living, loft and stable areas under one roof. The living area is a block construction. The interior furnishings of the house originate from the early 20th century. Even in the 19th century, the profits from a small farm had to be supplemented by the farmer's earnings from another trade.
Wörndlhaus, Austraghausm Krämerei / Wörndl Retired Farmer's Home, Grocer's Shop
The Wörndl retired farmer’s home was first mentioned in the archives in 1825. It provided accommodation for the retired farmers and domestic servants from the Wörndl estate in Thalgau. In the museum a village grocery shop was set in the former parlour of the Wörndl retired farmer’s house. Village grocery shops, also called general or colonial stores, had a particular importance as they were the only source of supply for the local community.
Hiertl-Wohnhaus / Hiertl House
Dorfbeuern, 1836 und älter
The Hiertl residence is an example of the skilled craftsmanship, seen particularly in the design of the balconies and in the wooden joints, of the block construction. The horse, the farmer's working companion, was highly valued and usually had its own stable, located directly in the house.
Knotzinger-Wohnhaus / Knotzinger Farmhouse
Lamprechtshausen / Knotzing, 1798
The Knotzinger house is an extremely spacious and well-furnished building representing the farmer's wealth. The front facade has two walkways (balconies) where the drying of clothes, vegetables, herbs and many other things were performed. There are pigeonholes to the left and right of the upper balcony.
Buchnerstall / Buchner Stable
The barn stable of this three-part farm was built in 1866 and has a cattle stall, oxen stall and an upper level loft for hay. An interesting part of this building is the vaulted ceiling over the stable in a “Bohemian cellar vault” style. In the second half of the 19th century well-to-do farmers quickly replaced the wooden barn ceilings in their farm buildings.
Bundwerkstadel / Bundwerk Barn
Feldkirchen / Aich, 18th and 19th century
The “Bundwerk” is an especially rich and artistic variation of a pillar construction. The threshing floor divided the barn into two storage rooms of almost the same size. It was partly used for threshing and when the grain was done, it was used as storage for vehicles. The barn was enlarged in 1999/2000 and is now used for events.
Brunnbauernkapelle / Brunnbauer Chapel
Lamprechtshausen / Schwerting, 1899
The Brunn farmer, in Schwerting, acquired this chapel almost 100 years ago. He and his successors created the appearance of the chapel as shown in the museum. The altar is separated from the rest of the chapel by a cast-iron gate. The interior is painted in bright colours and decorated with pictures of Saints, votive tablets, souvenirs from pilgrimages and has an alcove with a cross.
Rauchhaus Ederbauer / Smokehouse
Köstendorf / Helming, 1642
The Smokehouse is particularly remarkable because it represents the basic form of a Flachgau single-building farm in its medieval state. A characteristic of the smokehouse was that it did not have a chimney, therefore the smoke that rose from the fireplace escaped through the roof and the "smoke window", located over the door to the house.
Zischkhäusl / The Retired Farmer’s House “Zischk”
Perwang, 18. Jhdt.
The expression, “Viertelhaus” (quarter of a house) is typical in northern Flachgau, originating from the tradition that the retired farmer usually received one fourth of the farm's profits, at the time of handing over the farm to his children. At present, a rake-maker's workshop is set up in the room on the ground floor.
Mesnerhaus / Sexton's House
This house was the home of the sexton (caretaker of the church) until just after the Second World War. Up until the 19th century, the sextons were also church organists and teachers. The schoolroom, which was much smaller in the 18th century, has been enlarged twice. This is where the teaching was done until 1889. The teacher's apartment is located across from the schoolroom. The house itself is a typical Flachgau single-building farm, subdivided into three areas: living-area, barn and stable. The living-area is a block construction where the outer walls were plastered towards the end of the 19th century.
Schmiedhaus / Blacksmith's House
Berndorf / Reit, 18th and 19th century
The Blacksmith’s house was originally a farmhouse in the style of a Flachgau single-building farm. In the 19th century, it was rebuilt into a craftsman's house. The interior furnishings and the availability of electricity are representative of life during the early 1940's. The workshop is furnished exactly as Josef Fürnschuß left it on his last day of work.
Feuerwehrzeugstätte / Fire-brigade Arsenal
Hof bei Salzburg / Hinterschroffenau, 1925
From 1816, when Salzburg became a part of Austria, farmhouses had to be insured by the “Salzburger Fire Insurance Company”. Fire prevention and fire fighting were improved and encouraged, therefore fire brigades were installed in smaller villages. This firehouse was large enough for a fire engine. The pipes were hung up for drying in the tower.
Kasern bei Salzburg, 1929
In the spring of 1929, in the outdoor café area of the “Jägerwirt” Inn in Kasern, a new “Salettl” was built to replace the smaller one. It was open during warm weather until the beginning of the 1960’s. Now the “Salettl” is the restaurant of the museum with a huge beergarden.
Kegelbahn / Bowling Alley
Bowling is a folk game with a tradition reaching back to the 13th century. Earlier, it was played in public places. Later, however, typical wooden bowling-alleys were found mainly in country inns. The entrance of the Museum’s bowling alley is formed like a pavilion, and on the other end there is a small area for the bowling boys, who quickly had to pick up the fallen bowling pins.
Hödlmooskalkofen / Hödlmoss Limekiln
Hof bei Salzburg, ca 1916
The Hödlmoos lime oven was erected during the First World War and was in operation until into the 1970’s. Burning lime had long represented an extra income for farmers in regions containing deposits of chalky rock. The burning of lime is as old as the technique for building walls and was brought to our part of the world by the Romans.
Salinenstadel / Salt Works Barn
Bad Reichenhall, 1946
The former barn belonging to the Bad Reichenhall salt works (“Triftstadel”) was originally located across from the present salt works in Bad Reichenhall, Bavaria. It served as a lumber storage space. The salt works barn was transferred to the museum primarily as a functional building. It serves as a display depot for large equipment and the first floor is open for events.
Bahnhof "Flachgau" / "Flachgau" station
Salzburg / Gaisberg 1887/2010
Das Bahnhofsgebäude „Flachgau“ ist ein nach Originalplänen errichteter Nachbau der Haltestelle „Zistel-Alpe“ aus dem Jahr 1887. Der Originalbau wurde von 1887 bis 1928 als Haltestellengebäude der ehemaligen Zahnradbahn auf den Gaisberg genutzt. Nach der Stilllegung der Gaisbergbahn wurde das Gebäude für private Zwecke stark umgebaut und war für eine Übertragung in das Museum nicht mehr geeignet.